Lotte Geeven



Hotel insomnia, 2007. Mart House, Amsterdam
Images retouched by thescienceofdesign.

http://www.geeven.nl/

Born in 1980 in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Lives and works in Amsterdam. "To research and map the border-area between me and the place I am staying, I stayed as artist-in-residence in New York and Xiamen questioning whether I would be someone else somewhere else, or look if perhaps identity and location would appear to be exchangeable ideas. In search for an answer, I deliberately got lost, jump from bus to bus, ended up in the outskirts and found my way back home with my eyes and ears wide open. On site, I collected and systematically jotted down personal observations of the cityscape: fractions of conversations, a blossoming magnolia under a window, subtle changes in the colour of the sky above the city, the sound of rain in a park: poetical ornaments that are everywhere but define the character of their domain in the way they appear to me. These seemingly unimportant background sceneries enclosed the dialect of the location and formed scattered landmarks of the border-area between the city and me. In Hotel Insomnia, with a series of drawings, light boxes and installations, I carefully reconstructed them as marks to another place that moved with me from one city to the other."

via e-flux.

No comments:

Post a Comment